We make EFTPOS easy. Get quick and easy set-up with free install and training, or a device delivered by courier ready-to-go right out of the box. Our range of EFTPOS apps and services help you improve productivity, boost your customer service offering, grow your revenue and reduce your costs.
CREDIT CARD SURCHARGING MADE EASY
CREDIT CARD SURCHARGING
Surcharging smarts built right into your terminal. Never pull out your calculator again.
Recoup the cost of accepting credit cards by adding a surcharge to credit card transactions
Credit Card Surcharging
Accept credit cards without increasing your costs
- Your terminal automatically detects credit cards and applies a surcharge to your normal prices
- Apply the surcharge to transactions over or under a particular value.
- Set a maximum and/or a minimum surcharge amount
- Surcharge different credit cards at different rates to reflect different costs of acceptance
How does it work?
Your surcharge solution calculates the value of the surcharge for you and automatically adds it to the transaction when your customer swipes or inserts their credit card.
There are legal obligations you must meet if you add a surcharge to your normal prices. The Eftpos New Zealand Surcharge and Service Fee Solutions take care of some of these obligations for you, but it is important that you read and understand the full terms and conditions.
Get credit card surcharging for $10.00 + GST per terminal, per month and save hundreds of dollars in merchant fees by passing the cost of acceptance on to your customers who choose to pay by credit card.
The two biggest challenges businesses face when they apply a credit card surcharge is calculating the surcharge itself and telling customers in a way that meets legal obligations, but also avoids upsetting them. Grab our tips for applying a credit card surcharge here.
Accept credit cards without increasing your costs
We make surcharging easy
Did you know that the average transaction size for credit cards in New Zealand is higher than for debit cards? Accepting credit cards is a great way to encourage customers to spend more in your store.
Get help with your merchant obligations
Looking for a solution for debit cards? Ask us about our service fee solution.
The Eftpos NZ surcharge solution is flexible to meet your needs. Need to change your surcharge solution? Call our helpdesk on 0800 EFTPOS, we can make changes with you over the phone.
Surcharge & Service Fee FAQ’s
When a customer selects the credit option during a purchase transaction an additional prompt appears notifying them a surcharge is going to be applied. If the customer accepts the surcharge the transaction proceeds and the terminal will automatically apply the surcharge for you.
During purchase transactions, an additional prompt appears after the account is selected notifying the customer a service fee is going to be applied. If the customer accepts the fee the transaction proceeds and the terminal will automatically apply the service fee for you.
There are a few things to consider when you’re deciding on the value of your fee:
- If you choose to apply a surcharge fee to credit card transactions you must ensure the surcharge bears a reasonable relationship to your cost of accepting the credit card;
- You can choose to apply a surcharge as a flat fee up to $9.00 OR;
- You can choose to apply a surcharge as a percentage of the transaction amount up to 9% – with optional minimum and maximum surcharge amounts.
- You can choose to apply to a service fee as a flat fee up to $20.00 OR;
- You can choose to apply a service fee as a percentage of the transaction amount up to 20% – with optional minimum and maximum service fee amounts.
You’ll be able to choose a minimum and maximum transaction amount that triggers your chosen fee too, which gives you even more control over how the fee is applied.
You must clearly display notices, signs or decals at your physical premises, as well as a notice next to your point of sale. We provide you with a sign to display at your Point of Sale (POS). You must not describe the fee as, or inform the cardholder that the fee is, applied by a card scheme, by us or by a third party financial institution. You must ensure the fee is clearly disclosed to the Cardholder prior to the completion of the transaction and give the Cardholder the opportunity to cancel once the fee has been disclosed.
A service fee is applied to all debit and credit card Purchase or Telephone Order transactions. A surcharge is only applied to credit card transactions. You can’t apply a surcharge or a service fee to contactless transactions using a PayPass or payWave card, however.
You can apply either a service fee or a surcharge. You’ll need to decide whether a surcharge or service fee best suits your business.
We’ll help you configure your solution to ensure it’s just right for your business when we set it up with you, but if you’d like to make a change once it’s already set up we’ll happily do so over the phone – simply call 0800 EFTPOS.
As part of your merchant obligations, you need to display the fee amount separately from transaction total on the customer’s receipt. Our Surcharge and Service Fee solutions take care of the receipt requirements for you – the transaction and fee amounts are listed separately on the receipt.
A surcharge or service fee can be applied in instances where all of the following conditions can be met:
- The Cardholder is informed of the fee prior to completion of the transaction;
- The Cardholder can be informed of the rate, amount or method of calculation of the fee at the time of purchase and;
- The Cardholder has the opportunity to cancel the transaction once the fee has been disclosed.
This means a surcharge or service fee can be applied to both Telephone orders and e-commerce orders, but not Mail orders.